June 19, 2017
5 Cyber Security Threats of 2017 You Should Be Aware Of
Tips on How PROSHRED® Can Help Keep You Safe
Cyber-crime is an industry that has seen tremendous growth, and with that tremendous loss to companies and individuals that fall victim to these crimes. Understanding the threat and taking measures to protect your information are the first steps to staying secure. The PROSHRED® Charlotte team is here to provide you with the latest information on avoiding security risks.
Cyber Security Threats
- Public Wi-Fi: Transmitting information via public Wi-Fi access is considered a “sitting duck” for cyber criminals. When handling sensitive information such as passwords, personal information and payment information, ensure you are connected to a secured network before submitting information.
- Ransomware: A type of malicious software designed to block access to a computer system until a sum of money is paid.
- Phishing: You may be familiar with phishing scams as they have become one of the more common security risks posed and are predicted to start infiltrating mobile devices more frequently in the future. With a goal of getting individuals to provide sensitive information, these emails often imitate credible emails.
- Old Hard Drives: Residual digital information often found in legacy technology such as an old mobile phones or hard drives. If you’re a company harboring old hard drives, you’re placing yourself at great risk of a major data breach.
- Social Media: Often not thought of as a security risk, social media is one of the most common places sensitive information is provided. Hackers can research these channels and gain information used in phishing scams.
PROSHRED® Charlotte wants to help keep your information secure. Check out our variety of services that we can provide to take steps to avoid your information falling into the wrong hands.